Thursday, October 31, 2013

Gluten free vs. All Purpose - Oatmeal Cookies

Gluten Free Wins Again!

Gluten free is tricky.  So many things have wheat in them, and for someone who loves baking it can be incredibly difficult to get the hang of.  My little guy is on a gluten free trial to see if it helps some of his medical issues, so I can't just give up because I'm trying it as a diet fad.  My lovely sister is so great with gluten free, she has been accommodating a gluten free child for years and has some great recipes on her blog Bushel and A Peck if you are looking for recipes that mix different flours instead of using a mix like I am in this recipe.  I'm cheap.  There's no nice way to put it, I love saving money - it makes me feel like a superhero.  I have tried mixing flours and all the different ingredients to make gluten free recipes but I usually just end up throwing whatever I've made out because it's completely inedible.  So, in the short term it looks as though mixes can be more expensive - BUT if they make food that I don't have to throw out, it's really the most economical decision.  I've used the same recipe for these oatmeal cookies, one with regular all purpose flour and one with a gluten free mix.  In all honesty, there is no taste or texture difference between the two, and I'm happy to say I have another gluten free recipe under my belt.


Amazing results from the gluten free flour mix - identical tasting cookies!

    3/4 cup Butter 
    1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 

    Cream butter, and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg, milk and vanilla and blend well.

    In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients:

    1 cup flour (all purpose or gluten free mix)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

    Mix dry into wet, and add any extras after well blended.  I made mine plain, but after baking most of the batch added 1 cup coconut and chocolate chips to a few, because, well... I love coconut and chocolate.  

    Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until the edges just start turning golden brown.  I (again) used an ice cream scoop to get perfectly shaped and similar sized cookies.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Just say Yes

    Utilizing a budget means making small choices that add up to big numbers.  No impulse buys (even when it’s only a dollar or two) , and n...