Sometimes I go out and eat something yummy - want to replicate it at home and can't find a recipe! I came up with this recipe all by my lonesome and I have to say, it's everything a sugar addict could hope for.
Begin with the brownie base:
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2 cups organic white sugar
- 1 tsp pure organic vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup organic cocoa
- 2 cups organic all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. This works well with a mixer, but you can do it by hand.
- After the creaming stage, do switch to a spoon for mixing. Brownies tend to get tough if worked too much.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix just until smooth.
- Pour in cocoa and flour. Again, mix until smooth and lumps are broken up. But, don't go to wild on the mixing.
- Bake for 20 minutes in 11 X 7 pan lined with parchment paper. You are taking these out of the oven 10 minutes premature and they will not be fully baked.
Prepare the macaroons while the brownies are baking....
- 4 ounces (115 grams) semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (chocolate chips work)
- 3 large (90 grams) egg whites
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) organic cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) organic white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure organic vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups (220 grams) sweetened flaked coconut
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is well coated.
- Carefully spread macaroon mixture over the brownies being careful not to lift the brownie and mix it with the macaroon. Place in the 350 oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool COMPLETELY before cutting. It will be hard to resist, but if you try to cut them too soon the macaroons will be sloppy. Let it set!
- That's it. These are absolutely decadent and delightful! Enjoy!
Want more from the Lent Experiment blog? Visit http://thelentexperiment.blogspot.ca