Monday, January 20, 2014

Mini Peanut Butter Pies

 I was hankering for peanut butter pie, but didn't want a whole pie in my fridge.
  I was not craving moving up a pant size.  

Enter the mini pie.  
Can we make fun of my chocolate drizzling skills for a minute?  Someone help me with the drizzle, I need lessons!

I decided to make a few mini pies, to test how they freeze, to share with my friend (yes, I have a 
friend - don't laugh) and, really, to scratch the itch.  The peanut butter pie itch.

I've made the traditional pie, with whipped topping before (yes, lots of times) but I really hate using it.  It's so gross.  Whipped oil and sugar.  I can't stand eating that crap.  
Well, I can obviously stand it - I just really really don't like it.  It also means I don't make it more than once every few years, which isn't a bad thing I guess.  Oh well, I adjusted the recipe so I could make it without it.  I still used Jell-O, just as yucky.  Ha!  What I do for this pie I tell ya.  

Mini Peanut Butter Pie

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare a muffin pan with liners (this recipe makes 12).  

1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
1/3 cup sugar

Combine sugar, graham crumbs and butter in small bowl.  Each muffin paper will get 2 tbsp of graham crust.  Scoop 2 tbsp in each cup and when done, press graham firmly around sides and bottom.  Try to do this as evenly as possible.  

Bake for 4-5 minutes.  Don't over bake the crust.  A large crust would take up to 10 minutes and I (foolishly) over baked my crusts the first time.  Let cool while making filling. 

1 8oz package cream cheese
1 cup peanut butter
1 package of instant vanilla pudding (serving size 4, not 6 - they come in two sizes!)
1 cup of whipping cream
1 cup milk

Mix the cream cheese until smooth.  If you've left it out for a few hours, this is easily done by hand.  Add peanut butter and mix again.  Make pudding in a separate bowl.  You are NOT following instructions on box.  Mix one package of pudding with one cup of milk.  Add it to the cream cheese and peanut butter and mix well.  If you want to use Cool Whip, use one cup where I am using whipping cream.  Blend the heck out of these ingredients until the mixture is smooth.  

Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide filling into each mini pie crust.  You should have just enough for each mini pie and for the kids to get a good lick out of the bowl.  

Refrigerate minimum 4 hours before serving.  You can drizzle chocolate on top, warm peanut butter, add whipped cream, etc.  Dress it up how you'd like and enjoy!  

Happy Baking!

*Bonus Blabbering*

The story of "the fattest thing I've ever said"
I was making this pie over Christmas.  My sister was in the kitchen with me.  
She has made this pie plenty of times.  
I began to soften the cream cheese and whip it with a fork and good old arm power.  
With sadness and shock she asked what happened to my beautiful stand mixer. 
I said it was fine.
That I like to mix things by hand because it was a little bit of extra exercise before eating something so unhealthy. 
We looked at each other. 
Silence.
Silence.
Laughter.
My face grimaced and I professed 
"That is the fattest thing I've ever said!"




3 comments:

  1. Haha! Oh man....
    Well, these tiny pies looks adorbs, and very yummy too! And, you do need a little chocolate drizzle help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super healthy! :) (But, in moderation, it does sound delicious!) haha Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Just say Yes

Utilizing a budget means making small choices that add up to big numbers.  No impulse buys (even when it’s only a dollar or two) , and n...